Monday, June 2, 2014

My Very First Animal Rescue (EXCLUSIVE: Save the Bats!)

Hi everyone! I have great news. I have helped animals in different ways (Project for Paws collars, Project for Paws donations, Project for Paws toy drives,) but on Saturday I really got hands on changing an animal's life. I rescued my first animal!

He's a crow that (in my mind) named Hudson. We think he's the son (or daughter) of two crows that live in my neighborhood. It made me so sad when I helped rescue him because he was in so much pain and he was so scared. We found him in my neighbor's garden. His foot appeared broken and his wing was  completely mangled. I felt so bad for  him!  But we put him in the crate that we used for my foster kittens and brought him onto our deck. I fed him an orange slice and we called around to a rescue that would take this poor guy. Finally, someone called back. It was Willowbrook Nature Center . They rehabilitate animals there.

If you find any injured wildlife, please call them or another rescue. In some cases, it's best to let injured wildlife be, but in others it is best to take action. If you ever find injured wildlife search online for a wildlife rescue in your area. Call them for further instructions and let them decide if you should leave it be or bring it in to be rehabilitated.

EXCLUSIVE: Yesterday, I noticed an article in the newspaper about White Nose Syndrome.   It's a disease found in bats. I learned that, in some areas in Canada, 90-100% of bat colonies have been wiped out due to this terrible disease. Learn more here: 
http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/bat_crisis_white-nose_syndrome/index.html

Thank you so much,
Please remember to adopt, spay, and neuter,
Lili <3

P.S. I'm so excited that I made my first animal rescue last weekend. I hope I get to save even more lives this summer. :)